Why should I register a copyright?
Registration of copyright provides several benefits to the registrant.
- Registration establishes prima facie evidence of the validity of the copyright and facts stated in the certificate when registration is made before or within five years of publication.
- When registration is made prior to infringement or within three months after publication of a work, a copyright owner is eligible for several important remedies:
- Statutory damages up to $30,000 per infringement;
- Attorneys’ fees and costs; and
- Possible injunctive relief.
Further, registration can cut off some defenses that infringement was “innocent” thereby allowing for additional statutory damages of up to $150,000 per infringement.